Why is measuring the social impact of communication important?
Campaign Collective is one of the only communications agency in the UK that is truly a social enterprise. The agency is also committed to proving the social impact of its work.
Measuring social impact is difficult, but worthwhile. The Public Relations & Communications Association definition of social value is a good start.
More needs to be done by the industry to embrace this methodology of measuring impact and social value. However, the Collective’s own results show that progress has been made and much more can be done in 2020.
How Campaign Collective calculates impact:
Campaign Collective’s annual social impact score has been calculated showing the social enterprise’s contribution to the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
In 2019, campaigns were delivered that helped meet seven of the UN’s SDGs (up from six in 2018).
Communications Campaigns our members worked on included:
- Ending poverty.
- Ensuring healthy lives.
- Providing quality education.
- Achieving gender equality.
- Promoting sustainable economic growth.
- Promoting peaceful and inclusive societies.
Based on the Public Relations and Communications Social Value Test, Campaign Collective achieved a “very good” 4 star rating (67%).
The social impact of Campaign Collective went above and beyond delivering great campaigns.
The agency also contributed to supporting smaller communications campaigns and the next generation of campaigners.
To support small charities / campaigners, the Collective:
- Chaired PRCA Charity & Not For Profit Group with events open to all
- Continued to promote Freedom To Campaign Guide & advised Electoral Commission on new guidance
- Attended Campaigners Forum and other events for small charities to provide advice
- Launched The Rooftop – a new home for positive news
- Supported Social Enterprise World Forum in Ethiopia
- Hosted all meetings at the Free Word Centre, a charity based in London
To meet help develop the next generation of communications talent, the Collective:
- Chaired PR Apprenticeship Trailblazer
- Assessed campaign apprentices
- Attended and spoke at networking events designed to increase diversity in campaigning
More details on the agency’s annual performance are available in the financial report.